New versions of Piglet and Regexvisualizer are out

It’s been a busy few weeks now, but I finally managed to get some OSS work done again. Here’s an overview of the new stuff

Piglet 1.1.0

Piglet has been updated with a few new features.

  • DFAs generated by piglet can now be minimized, and are minimized by default. This is in essence an optimization that will reduce Piglets memory footprint and make it run faster. As alwyas, this is a tradeoff and you can if you really want to turn off the minimization. The result will be a larger memory footprint but a faster parser generation time. The correctness of the thing remains the same.
  • Ability to get the graph string for the lexer has been added to the public API. Really a feature coming from the regex visualizer, it has been improved with a better API for access from outside the piglet internals. This has also been enhanced with new features, outlined below in the updates to the regex visualizer.
  • Changed test framework to NUnit. This decision was made since there had been some issues with MsTest, mainly that it screwed up building on a machine which did not have Visual Studio installed. This was not an acceptable situation so we decided to change it.

All in all, this release should be fully backwards compatible with earlier versions of Piglet. If you are using it and finding any problems, please do let me know. Piglet is, as always, available on NuGet and on GitHub

Regex visualizer

The regular expression visualizer has been given a new feature, making it really useful for debugging. It will now highlight given an input string which are the active states in both the NFA and the DFA. And if your expression isn’t matched, it will show you what part of your expression is matched and the last state where the machine was in a legal state. All in all this is turning out to be a pretty useful tool. I hope to do some work on the rendering soon, to avoid the pretty annoying flickering – going to look into canviz to turn the rendering into client-side instead of torturing google with constant requests.

Tagged ,

Leave a Reply